People in general–and certainly people who listen to this podcast–have come to understand that we are completely colonized by bacteria. We have a grasp on where it lives, how it helps us. But viruses are much more abstract.
Covid-19 has laid bare how little we still know about our interactions with viruses, what role our gut plays in the process, and whether there is a reciprocal relationship between plague and host. What is less mysterious for those who study the global virome is how a modern pandemic starts and what we can do to avoid them in the future.
Joining me to discuss where we stand today in our understanding of viruses is Dr. Dennis Carroll, who heads the Global Virome Project, an international partnership that builds systems to detect future viral threats while they are still circulating in wildlife. He has over 30 years of leadership experience in global health and development, and until recently, served as the Director of the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Emerging Threats Division.
A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- Why the way we interact with certain ecosystems creates virus hot spots
- Whether pandemics are going to become the new normal
- What has changed within our world that is making outbreaks more frequent
- Why raising livestock increases the risk of future pandemics
- How climate change factors into things
- What we can do as a global community to change our behavior and prevent future outbreaks
- And so much more…!
Resources, mentions and notes:
- The SIBO Made Simple Book – Available to Pre-Order! Find out more about early bonuses here
- Dr. Carroll’s website
- My favorite plant-based meals
- One Part Plant cookbook
- Carbon Fund – to donate monthly and offset your carbon footprint
- How to check voter registration
- How to find your polling place
- How to vote early in your state
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to the newsletter (and receive a free low FODMAP cookbook)
This episode is brought to you by SIBO Made Simple – THE BOOK! Part patient guide and part cookbook (complete with over 90 low FODMAP recipes), this is your trusty road map to become your own intestinal detective, gut problem solver, and critter-free kitchen crusader. Those who pre-order their copy before October 19th will be able to join my live Gut Heal Bootcamp for FREE. To find out more details about the pre-order bonuses and to submit your receipt, click here.
We are also brought to you by Epicured, a low FODMAP meal delivery service that understands that food is medicine. Each menu is created by Michelin star chefs and honed by doctors and dieticians at mount sinaii to restore digestive health for those with IBS, SIBO, Celiac and IBD. Everything they serve is 100 percent low FODMAP and gluten-free, with no cooking required! My favorite part about their dishes is the healthy spin on takeout gems like shrimp laksa and PAD THAI! Their version had a great balance of fresh veggies mixed in with the noodles that left me feeling both satisfied and completely free of my usual carb coma. Listeners to this podcast can get $20 off their order by using code PHOEBE. Click here or visit epicured.com/phoebe to learn more.
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.