- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated young Asiago cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the fennel, olive oil, salt, and sugar together until the veggies are coated. Turn out the fennel onto 2 parchment-lined cookie sheets. Roast in the oven until caramelized, about 30 minutes, flipping the fennel slices halfway through the cooking process. Set aside. (This can be done up to 3 days in advance.)
- Cut the puff pastry with a 3-inch round cutter into circles. Arrange them on a baking sheet and divide the cheese and roasted fennel between the rounds.
- Bake in the oven until puffed and caramelized, about 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool on the sheet until deflated.
- Eat warm or at room temperature.