Al Forno Conchiglie with Five Cheeses
This recipe was adapted from Cucina Simpatica: Robust Trattoria Cooking by the owners of our favorite Providence restaurant, Al Forno. The dish is still the subject of many a dinner table discussion, as somehow any other baked pasta that involves cream and cheese tends to pale in comparison.
- 1 lb conchiglie rigate (shells)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- ¼ lb shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano (reserve some for garnish)
- ½ cup fontina cheese, coarsely grated
- ¼ cup crumbled gorgonzola (I used a little less)
- 2 tbsp ricotta cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup very thinly sliced (length wise) scallion (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt well, and cook the pasta for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine cream, tomatoes, cheeses, salt, and basil in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the pasta and toss to coat.
- Spread pasta mixture evenly in a casserole or baking dish. Bake uncovered for 7 to 10 minutes, until the top is browned and the bottom layer of pasta is tender.
- Sprinkle with scallions and remaining pecorino and serve immediately.
If you make this, share a photo and tag me @PhoebeLapine #feedmephoebe - I would love to see it!