I’ve been majorly feeling the cooking fatigue lately.
I thought I had flattened the bell curve of carb consumption from the beginning of quarantine, but the last few weeks we have been hitting the pasta box hard for lack of better, quicker options.
Part of my lack of inspiration is that when we left New York city for what we thought was two weeks, I didn’t pack any creative cooking backup from my shelves. I’m always pulling cookbooks for ideas, since like everyone else, I can easily fall into the rut of making the same 5 things on rotation (hello, peanut noodles, tuna casserole, and socca pizza, my old friends).
Needless to say, I was overjoyed when my pre-ordered copy of Pamela Salzman’s new cookbook Quicker Than Quick landed on our doorstep. It has since breathed new life into my routines, including giving the gift of this gluten-free sheet pan shrimp and broccoli recipe.
As you know, I am a big believer in sheet pan meals, especially for quick cooking. But I’d never thought to turn this simple Chinese restaurant-inspired combo into one. It takes just a few ingredients, all of which are pantry friendly (broc keeps for a week or two in the crisper drawer and you can use frozen shrimp). True to its promise, the recipe is quick AF. And the result is so darn delicious, with enough brown sauce left in the pan to soak into some white rice, should you feel so inclined.
If ever we collectively needed quick recipes, it’s now. So should you be feeling my same cooking fatigue, I’d highly recommend picking up Pamela’s book for some healthful inspiration to help you flatten the carb curve (or, at least, eat better options) and enjoy some incredible meals in the process.
With health and hedonism,
Sheet Pan Shrimp and Broccoli
- 5 cups of small broccoli florets
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh peeled ginger
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 Tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup gluten-free tamari shoyu or coconut aminos
- 1 pound wild large shrimp peeled and deveined, rinsed and patted dry
- Sea salt to taste I use about ¼ teaspoon
- Preheat the oven on to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed half sheet pan with unbleached parchment paper, if desired.
- Place the broccoli on the sheet pan and drizzle with oil. Toss to coat, spread out on the sheet pan and roast for 10 minutes.
- Make the sauce: whisk together in a large bowl the garlic, ginger, chili flakes, honey, and tamari. Toss the shrimp with the sauce in the bowl and pour everything onto the sheet pan with the broccoli. Spread out in one layer. Sprinkle with sea salt. Cook for another 6 minutes or until pink throughout. (medium shrimp will take a minute less.) Serve immediately.