This salad is great for make-ahead lunches or as a gussied up bed for tagine.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 10oz whole wheat couscous (or plain)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- In a small stock pot or Dutch oven, combine the stock, olive oil, salt, cumin, tumeric, and cayenne. Bring the mixture just barely to a boil, stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff up the grains with a fork. Cover and let stand for another few minutes while you prepare the mix-ins.
- In the meantime, place the raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Let stand for 5-10 minutes so the raisins get rehydrated and plump.
- In a small non-stick pan, toast the almonds over medium heat. Keep an eye on these so they don’t burn–this will only take 3 minutes or so.
- In a medium salad bowl, toss the couscous with the remaining ingredients. Drain the raisins and add them to the bowl, along with the toasted nuts. Taste for seasoning and serve.