In this wild rice recipe, roasted fennel is tossed with sun-dried tomatoes and olives to create a nutritious salad perfect for any season.
Originally published on Food & Wine.
- 1 pound fennel, thinly sliced into wedges
- Olive oil
- 1 cup wild rice
- 8 cups cold water
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425°. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss the fennel with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the fennel is tender and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cover the rice with the water, add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the wild rice is tender but still chewy, about 1 hour. Drain the wild rice well.
- Toss the wild rice with 2 tablespoons olive oil, the fennel, tomatoes, olives and parsley. Season with salt and transfer to a platter.